Monday, April 18, 2011

Best Forgotten - Fiction that changes hearts!

by Paula Vince

I'm delighted that Lisa has given me an opportunity to share once again on this blog. Before I talk about my new release, I’ll begin with a recent attitude adjustment.

I was having a prayer time that was more like a long complaint list. It went something like this. ‘Lord, I know several readers who I’m sure would love my books if only they bothered to take the time. You don’t know how frustrating it is when you have something which would bless people but they’re too indifferent to even want to know.’

No sooner were the words out of my mouth when His answer filled my spirit.

You think I don’t understand how that feels? Just remember who you’re talking to!

That made my pulse race. How could I have forgotten for a moment? It suddenly seemed I’d been raised to an aerial view to see the rut I’d dug for myself. It was clear how tightly yoked I’d been to my own ego, wanting to make a ‘success’ of selling Christian novels in Australia so I could prove my value to others and myself. I’d missed the point entirely. If I’d noticed that I was pacing over the same dusty ground month after month, I would have scrambled out of that dirty rut long ago. I’d started out on this adventure with Jesus. How short-sighted of me to be offended because I shared some of His own experiences.

Nothing has changed in my approach to selling books but how refreshing it feels to climb out of that result-driven rut and survey things from higher ground. How liberating to change my concept of ‘success’ and stop gauging it by the human feedback I receive compared to others. Even the air from the new vantage point feels cleaner and crisper to breathe.

Having said this, I really am excited to offer my new release, Best Forgotten to others. I’ve tried to weave together elements of mystery, suspense and redemption in a way I’ve never done before.

A young accident victim wakes up in hospital without a clue who he is. Not only does he have nothing in common with his family but he develops an aversion to the person he used to be. He cannot understand the way he used to behave or the choices he made. The more he learns about himself, the more puzzled and upset he becomes.

He discovers that his best friend disappeared without a trace on the night of his own accident. His girlfriend is strangely aloof and he cannot shake off a feeling that the answer will prove even more unpleasant than his amnesia. The more he tries to investigate, the more likely it appears that he was involved in something really shady and sinister. And he senses that something bad is after him. So he’s torn between wanting to find out and being terrified that he’ll have to face horrible consequences when he does.

I’ve been fascinated by the relationship between our thinking patterns and what we make of our lives. How is a person’s personality shaped by his sum of experiences? To what extent do the thoughts we choose to think make us into the people we are? Do our seemingly random choices have the impact to come back when least expected and impact the rest of our lives?

When you, the reader, find out the mystery, hopefully you’ll let out a gasp and cry, ‘Oh wow, I never saw that coming!’ That’s my intention, anyhow.

I love it when a work of fiction not only entertains readers but changes us at the core by getting us to think about how what we’ve read within the pages may also apply to us. These are the stories we like to remember, lend to others and call really special. I believe novelists have a responsibility to offer readers our very best and it’s a quest I take seriously.

For Australian and international readers alike, my books are available from Amazon.com and directly from my own website, www.appleleafbooks.com. In fact I invite you to visit my website if you’d like to read about my other titles too. For Australian and New Zealand readers, Best Forgotten and my other books are also available from Koorong and other good Christian book stores.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paula Vince always wanted to write fiction and loves to evoke tears and laughter. Her novels include a fantasy/adventure trilogy for young adults and four contemporary dramas with elements of romance, mystery and suspense. She lives with her husband and three children in South Australia’s beautiful Adelaide Hills, which she uses as the setting for several of her novels. Her novel, Picking up the Pieces was a finalist in the inaugural 2010 Omega Writer’s CALEB prize. Her most recent novel, Best Forgotten is a mystery/romance that has just been published by Wombat Books/Even Before Publishing.

12 comments:

  1. I have seen this new book in our local bookshop infact both copies sold when I was on duty but reading the info here am definitely wanting a copy myself. I hope your books will also be popular overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statement: "So he’s torn between wanting to find out and being terrified that he’ll have to face horrible consequences when he does.

    I’ve been fascinated by the relationship between our thinking patterns and what we make of our lives. How is a person’s personality shaped by his sum of experiences? To what extent do the thoughts we choose to think make us into the people we are? Do our seemingly random choices have the impact to come back when least expected and impact the rest of our lives?"

    I'm in a personal bind myself re childhood events. This sounds like a superb book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first several paragraphs sound just like Me!! I'm so glad I am not alone in thinking that way. I often get frustrated and TELL God, Hey you gave me this ability and desire to write - for You- so why won't you lead people to my books!! Then I have to repent and step aside and let God work in his own time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments gave me tingles up my spine. We so often forget that He is so often forgotten and His words rejected. And like you say, so often we forget and get caught up in how everything affects us. Very wise of you to release it all to Him. It's His business, and He will do with us as He thinks best. Very profound posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to Colleen and Christine. I too really identified with you complaints. Thank you for the reminder and good luck on this exciting-sounding book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, ladies.

    Linda, I've had similar moments myself and thought fiction would be a great tool to explore the whole issue of the bearing our upbringing has on our personality.

    Colleen, I certainly know exactly what you're talking about! Christine and LeAnne, you know it too. As soon as I was offered the chance to share here again, that "A-ha" moment popped straight into my head.

    It's wonderful to hear of times when books have been sold. I was delighted to read Jenny's comment above, but it's good to come to a place not to have to rely on moments like these for peace of mind.

    Thank you all for your warm encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula, great post! Thanks for visiting with us today. Best Forgotten sounds like a fascinating read :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the questions Best Forgotten poses, too. It really makes the reader think seriously about their own character and what makes them the person they are. I loved the story. Well, done, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a wonderful posting...and heartfelt message. this book sounds wonderful...i will keep my eyes open for it.

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like others I could associate with your feelings Paula, and had to come to the same conclusion. Thanks for sharing. If Best Forgotten is anywhere near as compelling as Picking up the Pieces it will be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everybody.
    Carol, I'm really happy that you enjoyed "Best Forgotten" That made my day.
    Karen and Dale, I like to make sure my books are easily acquired :) Living in Australia, that's a must.
    Narelle and Lisa, thank you for enabling me to share here again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was challenged and blessed by this book and wrote a review on www.koorong.com.au - a large Christian bookshop chain in Australia. Congratulations again, Paula!

    ReplyDelete